CreatorsHomeLT

KANUTY RUSIECKI (1800–1860)

A painter. In 1809–1815, he was a pupil at Troškūnai elementary school. In 1816, he became a student at the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics at Vilnius University. In 1818, he changed faculty and became a student at the Faculty of Literature and Free Arts. In 1820–1821 he attended the lithography workshop. K. Rusiecki belonged to the Radiant Society and was possibly a member of the Filomat Society in 1820–1821. In 1820, he participated at the first art exhibition in Vilnius university. In 1821, he left to go to Paris and Rome for further study. In Paris he studied under the tutorship of Guillaume Lethiere, a professor at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, and in April 1822 became a student of the establishment. In September 1822 he left to go to Rome, where he studied under the tutorship of Vincenzo Camuccini and Berthel Thorvaldsen at San Luca Academy. In 1823–1824, K. Rusiecki and other lithuanian and polish artists, who lived in Rome, (Jan Trojanowski, Julian Miszewski, Roman Postemski, Wociech Korneli Stattler and Jan Zelinski) formed a circle of Lithuanian and Polish artists. He painted landscapes and portraits in Italy. He visited places including Naples, Capri Island, Sorento, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Tyrol.

In 1831, K. Rusiecki returned to Vilnius. From 1843 until his death, he taught sketching and painting at the Noble Institute and privately. In 1856, he tried to open an art school in Vilnius with W. Dmochowski and K. Jelski

 K. Rusiecki created portraits, pictures of animals, landscapes of Vilnius and its suburbs and domestic genre pictures. He also painted altar pictures for churches, restored easel and wall paintings.