Address: Vytauto Str. 17, LT-00101, Palanga,
Tel.: (+370 460) 53501, (+370 460) 51319, E-mail gintaro.muziejus[at]takas.lt
EXHIBITION "ST. PETERSBURG IMPERIAL PORCELAIN"
– 9 September 2012
Vase, View of
Vasilyevsky Island. 2008. Decoration by N. J.
Bolshakova. From after a piece from the first
half of the 19th c. by J. F. Troickij
The St. Petersburg Imperial Porcelain Factory is
known as the “crown of Russian culture” and “one of the
country’s rarest art treasures”. For over 250 years its
activities have been an inseparable part of Russian
history, and its production – artistic porcelain – is a
unique “porcelain chronicle” of the Palmyra of the
North. Russian porcelain masterpieces, created by the
golden hands of the manufactory’s masters, artists and
sculptors are exhibited in the world’s greatest museums.
Collectors vie for their possession at prestigious
Sotheby’s and Christie’s auctions.
During the reign of Catherine II, the status of the
Porcelain Manufactory, established in 1744, changed.
From 1765 the enterprise was already called the Imperial
Porcelain Factory (it’s title changed another two times
until 2005 when the original title was once again
adopted), and its production had for already more than
150 years decorated the interiors of the Romanov
estates, creating universal intrigue for its masterful
work, the complexity of the pieces and their refinement.
After the 1917 Revolution, the factory’s laboratory
created a new, Soviet porcelain, which for decades set
the standards for high artistic quality.
With the change in times, the enterprise started
reviving the elite porcelain dedicated to interior and
celebratory dining setting decoration of its factoring
traditions. This porcelain once again took its place as
a symbol of material wealth and stability, luxury and
prestige. It is sought after by collectors and
constitutes a significant part of the State Gift Fund.
Highly qualified masters took on the major task of
recreating the most famous works from the 18th–20th
centuries. Today they can be seen in the factory’s
museum, which has become a part of the Hermitage Museum.
Artistic, figurative, and having adopted
hundred-year-old nurtured master skills, Russian
artistic porcelain bearing the stamp of “Imperial
Porcelain” resurrects the grandeur and glory of
marvellous St. Petersburg.
Around 200 exhibits from the Imperial Porcelain Factory
are presented in the halls of the Museum of the Radvilas
Palace, created using the finest traditions of the St.
Petersburg porcelain school. The collection being
exhibited features both opulent examples of tsarist
Russian porcelain art, such as dinner service ensembles,
elegant vases and sculptures that adorned the palace
rooms and offices of Russian royalty, as well as avant
garde and so-called agitational art works that
proclaimed the country’s revolutionary changes.
Today the Imperial Porcelain Factory is one of but a few
such enterprises in the world, in which, as in earlier
times, a team of faithful porcelain artists and
sculptors work. They create not only samples of serial
production or special commissions, but also amazing
original pieces. The creative collective which has a
firm grasp of all the vagaries and potentials of
porcelain as a material astounds all with their work
that has no analogue in contemporary porcelain art.